Strengthening Targeted National Capacities for Improved Decision Making and Mainstreaming of Global Environmental Obligations
The Higher Council for Environment and Natural Resources would like to recruit a national consultant for the abovementioned project according to the terms of reference shown below. The application procedures and rules are shown at the end of this announcement. The selected national consultant will report administratively and contractually to the National Project Manager appointed by HCENR. S/he is expected to work closely with other project national consultants to coordinate and integrate their activities. The goal of this project is to strengthen Sudan’s ability to achieve environmentally sound and sustainable development that also protects the global environment as defined by the three Rio Conventions. The immediate objective of this project is to strengthen targeted national capacities to deliver and sustain global environmental outcomes within the framework of sustainable development priorities.
The aim of this consultancy is to update Sudan’s NCSA (National Capacity Self Assessment) to reflect changes and new priorities to meet and sustain global environmental obligations, including other international development goals such as the post 2015-Sustainable Development goals. In conjunction with other activities under this project and other GEF-funded enabling activities, this component will contribute to strengthening Sudan’s capacities to report trends and achievements related to the global environment.
- Prepare and validate a detailed comprehensive methodology to conduct the NCSA update that includes multilateral environmental agreements.
- Design and carry out surveys to assess understanding of Rio Convention mainstreaming.
- Conduct individual interviews to gather additional inputs on national/state priorities and constraints at the individual, institutional, and systemic level to pursue efforts to meet and sustain Rio Convention obligations.
- Draft thematic assessments of the state-specific challenges and opportunities and gender equality priorities to meet and sustain Rio Convention obligations.
- Integrate cross-cutting analysis of systemic, institutional, and individual capacity development priorities, with particular reference to state-specific opportunities.
- Review action plans of GEF focal area enabling activities (such as the national strategies and actions plans under the three Rio Conventions).
- Formulate the action plan which should outline the sources of finances and monitoring of the action plan.
- Draft the updated NCSA Final Report.
- Convene a roundtable for donors to present the NCSA and Action Plan in order to leverage financial support from development partners.
- Finalize and present the NCSA Final Report and Action Plan immediately prior to the Project Results Conference.
Duration of the Contract
This is a part-time consultancy. The National Consultant will be expected to undertake the assignment over a period of 6 months.
Required Expertise and Qualifications
Education: University education in Science, Natural Resources Management, Environmental Science/Studies, or any other relevant university degree;
Experience and skills
- Demonstrated thorough understanding of environmental issues at national and international levels.
- Experience in environmental management and governance.
- Experience in capacity assessment activities.
- Good analytical and management skills.
- Proven reporting, writing, analysis and presentation skills.
- Flexibility and ability to operate with a variety of stakeholders.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and a working knowledge of Arabic.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE and RULES
- Qualified and interested candidates are hereby requested to apply. Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. The application should contain the following:
- A cover letter that briefly describes (max. two pages) why the individual considers him/herself as being suitable for the specified assignment;
- Personal CV (max. eight pages in English) of the candidate indicating his/her education background, professional qualifications and all past experience from similar projects.
- Copies of academic certificates (non-returnable).
- The application should be addressed and submitted to:
The Secretary General,
Higher Council for Environment and Natural Resources
- The application can also be sent electronically to the email address: email@example.com. cc: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Closing date for submission:15 days from the date of this announcement.